WOMAD is the World of Music, Arts & Dance. WOMADelaide, the Australian edition of WOMAD, is a 4-day festival held in mid-March in Botanic Park, Adelaide, South Australia.
The festival programs around 40 international and 20 Australian bands/groups, plus street theatre etc. The program is curated by the festival office in Adelaide, developed between May and October and announced from October.
A brand new program is presented each year and most international bands/groups have not played in Australia/Adelaide before. Repeat acts may be invited to return after a break of 5 or more years.
The international artist program is created in conjunction with WOMAD Ltd in the UK and with WOMAD New Zealand, which is held in New Plymouth, NZ, on the weekend after WOMADelaide. WOMADelaide also produces the international artists program for WOMAD NZ.
The international program is usually developed before the Australian program and it has an influence on the Australian selection. Four (4) DJs are programmed, one to close each night of the festival, and all of them are international DJs.
If you haven’t attended WOMADelaide, please see https://www.womadelaide.com.au/archive for previous programs. Generally speaking, the festival programs original traditional and contemporary music of a very high standard and rock, opera, and urban/R&B are not usually featured. A strong live show is an extremely important consideration.
Expressions of Interest
OPEN 1 May and CLOSE 1 August
INTERNATIONAL ARTISTS – IMPORTANT! Expressions of Interest (EOIs) can only be sent by:
- Australia-based agents/promoters who are looking to produce a tour of Australia/NZ, or
- International agents/promoters with an existing relationship with WOMAD/WOMADelaide.
If you are an international band/group with no manager, no agent or no local tour promoter/producer in place as your Australian visa sponsor, due to the fact that we usually receive well over 500 EOIs each year, we are unable to consider your application.
AUSTRALIA & NZ based ARTISTS
EOIs can come from agents/promoters or the band/group itself.
EOIs can be emailed between 1 May – 1 August to firstname.lastname@example.org
Please include the name of the band/group in the subject header and include only the following:
- Official website link showing biography or a short biog in the body of the email – pls avoid links that require a Facebook login/signing up to an account
- Best music/video links such as Soundcloud, YouTube, Bandcamp, Vimeo
- Details about how many people are in the touring party and which city/cities they travel from, e.g. 8 people ex Melbourne
- Details of other major music festivals/venues at which you have appeared
- Manager’s name, email and phone number
- send attachments with your email such as photos, poster art, large MP3s
- send your application by post
- send Dropbox (or similar) downloads unless asked to do so
- add us to your e-news/mailing lists without our permission
- re-apply if you have applied before, unless you are based in Adelaide and are sending an invitation to a live gig in Adelaide
Please note that we do not take EOIs for:
- The Planet Talks
- Taste the World
EOIs will be acknowledged by email as soon as possible after they have been received. After that, no further emails will be sent by the festival office unless more info is needed.
Unfortunately, due to time constraints, we are unable to answer ongoing email / phone enquiries, or advise all of the artists who are not successful.
Thank you for your understanding.